    Re: Framing Discussion

    > At 05:34 PM 12/20/2000 -0800, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
    > >If every TCP segment has a iscsi header, which is a waste, then this
    > >problem is relatively simple in identifying which iscsi command
    > >a given TCP segment belongs to and also indexing into the right
    > >offset inside the buffer.
    >
    > Why would such a solution be a waste?  As a percentage of bandwidth, this
    > falls very much into the noise category even with 1500 Byte segments.  Most
    > high-speed protocols including new ones such as InfiniBand use a small
    > header per packet to allow hardware a simple mechanism to understand where
    > to place the data (also applies to software implementations which can do
    > better with minor hardware assists).

    It is a waste, if there is a better solution to tackle the same thing.
    If this can make things simpler, we should consider this as an option.
    But how does the sender insert this header ? Typically the target
    side would just dump all the data to TCP - which contains a iscsi
    header followed by data. TCP then would segment the data depending
    on the MSS. How do you insert such an header for each MSS sized
    data ?

    The only RDMA proposal on Infinaband i have seen is the one from
    Microsoft. I am not sure which one you are referring to.

    > At the first BOF, I spoke about aligning the protocol with InfiniBand since
    > that will eventually become the server point of attach in the coming
    > years.  The suggestion was made to include the same RDMA semantics (if they
    > are supported) as InfiniBand.  It was further suggested there an in other
    > e-mail that a simple 8-byte header with a 4-byte CRC be associated with
    > each segment and that these fields be contained within the data payload so
    > that TCP is not impacted.  The contents of this header would contain a
    > 8-bit op-code, VA, length, etc. allowing the responder to target the memory

    If VA is the virtual address, then this has security problems. How do
    you prevent arbitrary packets over-writing memory ? Actually all
    you need is a tag to identify the buffer pool, offset within a
    stream, and some smarts in the h/w to associate the tag to a
    buffer pool. Is this not sufficient ?

    > on the host / controller if all fields were valid.  If there was an
    > out-of-order delivery, the data could be spilled to temporary memory either
    > in the host or the adapter and upon recovery, delivered to the correct
    > target buffer without requiring host processor intervention with a little
    > creativity.  This 12-bytes of overhead for SCSI operations would have
    > minimal impact on link utilization and overall solution efficiency.  I
    > believe these same concepts have been stated in the various RDMA proposals
    > that have been distributed and given the eventual movement to InfiniBand
    > for servers and the new SRP (SCSI RDMA Protocol), one might want to create
    > an iSCSI solution that can easily bridge into these other technologies.
    >
    > Note: The arguments about adapter complexity, impact to OS, etc. are rather
    > moot in many ways.  The work will be done to support InfiniBand over the
    > next couple of years and thus the cost to implement / support is going to
    > be fairly minimal.  It should also be noted that many of these changes have
    > already be done using PCI / PCI-X based solutions that support VIA,
    > Scheduled Transfer, Oracle, MPI, Sockets Direct, etc. so the ability to
    > deploy solutions in the highly desirable I/O interconnect independent way
    > is available today as well.  One does need to wait or rely upon InfiniBand
    > to make all of this happen.  It should also be noted that many companies
    > will be working to have Linux support for this type of technology in the
    > upcoming year so solutions should be available to all by the time iSCSI
    > ramps to volume in 2002.

    I am not sure which proposal you are talking about. Infiniband working
    group is looking at the proposal from microsoft for RDMA. I think it
    is more specific to Infiniband.

    -mohan