    Re: iSCSI: burst size, response and sense data

    Julian,

    >Mallikarjun,
    >
    >The way I read the burst items they apply for output mainly (both the
    >initial and the max burst size - the thing comes from the "connect context"
    >of parallel buses).

    As you point out, data transfer could be in either direction.  I am
    still not convinced that we're relying on the right mode page, since the
    iSCSI target is not doing the "transfer" as SPC-2 states.  I would
    gladly defer to SCSI experts on this list if I am reading too much
    into SPC-2.

    Another problem to be addressed is the SPC-2 usage of zero to mean unlimited
    burst size.  We should define a way for an iSCSI target to indicate that
    it *cannot* support immediate data.

    If the suggestion is to use "ImmediateDataLength" text key in those
    cases, it raises the question of why we cannot always depend on that key.
    I would also argue that the default value of ImmediateDataLength must
    not be (2**32 - 1) as it is now, but should be zero.

    All in all, having two limits IMHO is confusing and prone to errors.
    I strongly advocate having one, and my preference is that it be in iSCSI.

    >I am working now on errors. I am not convinced that we need an iSCSI status
    >field and that is why it is (perhaps temporarily) out.
    >
    >I am looking at solving the iSCSI format errors through either "command not
    >understood" or an appropriate SCSI error.  But this may change after I
    >finish a first inventory.

    Having a response to a SCSI command always arrive in the SCSI Response
    PDU makes the initiator software a lot more structured, since the response
    handlers can deal with all iSCSI protocol errors (using the response data)
    before passing it up to SCSI.  I would like to point out that the issue
    at hand is NOT "opcode not understood" but is one of iSCSI formatting
    error for an opcode that is *understood*.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    M/S 5601