    RE: A question on Zero Copy

    David,

    In the prior note, I did agree with Y.P. with respect to a need for a
    content directed placement of data if there are no other provisions within
    dedicated appliances.  As such, I did agree with you and was only attempting
    to defend Julian's positions that such content directed placement would not
    be needed in a dedicated target.  RAID hardware is often designed to use the
    Fibre-Channel frame to allow this type of content directed placement.  For
    specialized hardware that does post reconstruction of FC frames from an
    encapsulation would involve but a few pointers and associated lengths easily
    contained within a small ASIC to allow simple post conversion.  iSCSI
    methods are less able to use such simple post processing techniques as the
    lengths and number of pointers would be less bound.  The length restrictions
    of FC frames also makes for an fixed length technique for frame discovery
    also not easily done with iSCSI.  One could simply place an FC frame at
    fixed intervals.  Buffer to buffer management would also be made far
    simpler.  If the argument is about what is already available, then
    Fibre-Channel encapsulation becomes the obvious choice and iSCSI adds only
    complexity.

    Doug