    RE: A question on Zero Copy

    Y.P.

    If you imagine even RAID controller devices have memory management that
    operate in a manner to resolve data discontinuities and header structure
    placement, then post mapping replaces look-ahead filtering.  Such post
    mapping has greater freedom.  The next device to access these structures
    will see a coherent image upon completion of a post parse.  Restricting PDUs
    to word units would be helpful in this area.  There is not any deterministic
    means to predict a response from the Initiator with respect to iSCSI other
    than in a general sense.  Commands and data may occur in any order should
    there be outstanding R2T and an open command window.  I would consider a
    RAID controller to be a dedicated appliance.  The typical computer has an
    MMU with pages larger than the typical SCSI block where there is also no
    page alignment.  If the data being sent was a consistent FC frame, then
    reconstruction and alignment of this frame would be easy with but a single
    frame delay.  The hardware to handle an FC frame is already in place.  iSCSI
    makes this task less bound.

    Doug