    RE: iSCSI: Why is ACA optional?

    Jim,

    You are correct and this should be taken to T10 as it affects every
    transport.

    Thnaks,
    Julo

    Jim McGrath <Jim.McGrath@quantum.com> on 05/12/2000 04:46:21

    Please respond to Jim McGrath <Jim.McGrath@quantum.com>

    To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  RE: iSCSI: Why is ACA optional?

    We have discussed this thread before (many months ago).  Then as now the
    bigger problem is that ACA will not prevent the execution of the second
    command if the first command failed sue to BUSY, QUEUE FULL, or RESERVATION
    CONFLICT status.  Basically ACA only works if a Contingent Allegiance
    condition exists, which required a CHECK CONDITION status.

    We did discuss at the time that something like ACA could be used to cover
    all of these conditions.  Is this what people are discussing?  In that case
    I suggest we use the term "Expanded ACA" to identify it from "current ACA."

    I don't think T10 has taken action on this (if so, I could not find it is a
    quick look at the T10 proposals).  And of course an "Expanded ACA" would
    not
    exist anywhere yet in the installed base.

    Note that drivers simulating this behavior is a different issue from native
    device support.  Still, I'd prefer to avoid the use of the unqualified ACA
    in order to avoid confusion over terms.

    Jim