    Re: TCP limitations (was Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirementviolates TCP.)

    Bernard Aboba wrote:

    > >>TCP option field to do the framing.
    >
    > This is a bad idea since it will make it very difficult
    > to leverage the same silicon between iSCSI and other
    > accelerated TCP/IP applications.
    >
    > >I believe this is clearly OUTSIDE the scope of the WG. We CANNOT
    > >change TCP.. period... if you desire to do this, you must take
    > >this to the end2end group (as Scott suggested)...
    >
    > Makes you wonder what part of NO isn't understood here ;)

    Yeah, it seems to me people keep forgetting this :-)

    > >Hmm, seems to me if you implement P-MTU discovery this problem would
    > >go away, but I do agree that if there is no P-MTU discovery you may
    > >have a problem with fragments....
    >
    > In practice, it will be very difficult to attain the design
    > goals without P-MTU discovery.
    >
    > >I cannot support even having this urgent method has an option. It is to
    > >unstable and WILL NOT work reliably...
    >
    > I will check the Windows TCP/IP implementation, but I believe that you
    > are correct.
    >
    > >Another thought, listed in your memo is
    > >the choice of a "magic" signature. But this may present a problem
    > >as well (CPU wise) since now one must scan memory looking for the
    > >"magic" mark (when one gets out of sync) and of course one would
    > >need a escape sequence in case data heading for a disk or tape had
    > >the magic mark...
    >
    > In practice, this would be very difficult to pull of at 1 Gbps line
    > rates. It's worth keeping in mind that at that line rate you don't have
    > very many clocks, even with a 1 Ghz processor. You would need to
    > optimize the "magic signature" search in silicon to have a prayer
    > of meeting the clock budget.
    >
    > >I don't know of any other viable options though..
    >
    > How about a length field?

    Do you mean lenght as in fixed length ISCSI packets always? I believe
    this was proposed... if you have a length field imbedded in the
    TCP stream, you run in to the same problem with the current ISCSI
    header (I think it has alength in it) in that if a SMS is lost
    that happens to hold the next length, you must wait since you
    have no idea where the next length is... Or did you have a different
    length in mind???

    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com
    815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)