    RE: Memos and Internet-Drafts

    > > - if it's important enough to save for future reference, it's
    > > important enough to write up and submit as an Internet-Draft.
    >
    > From RFC2026, section 2.2:
    > "An Internet-Draft that is published as an RFC, or that has remained
    > unchanged in the Internet-Drafts directory for more than six months
    > without being recommended by the IESG for publication as an RFC, is
    > simply removed from the Internet-Drafts directory."
    >
    > So, internet drafts are not useful for "future reference" since they'll be
    > deleted after 6 months....

    ... and if in 6 months, there is not enough interest in a draft to generate
    active work on it, it's time for the draft to vanish because the WG has
    clearly moved on.  If a draft is a subject of active work, there are
    things that your WG co-chairs and ADs can do to reprieve a draft
    from untimely deletion (having been through this with one of my
    drafts in the recent past), but fundamentally we expect a draft that's
    being worked on to be revised on a regular basis.  Expect the rule
    about what can be discussed in meetings to be strictly enforced
    in San Diego with respect to the memo Julian cited -- this is a
    message from the ADs.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500