    Re: ISCSI: Urgent pointer consensus

    Matt Wakeley wrote:

    > placed.  If you lose an iSCSI PDU header due to a lost TCP segment, you
    > lose iSCSI PDU framing from then on (until the missing segment is
    > received).  You then have to store the TCP data (received after the

    Ah!  Now I am beginning to see how your implementation works.  In your view,
    a write CDB for 128MB would have a sequence like...

    send CDB PDU
    rx R2T for 1MB          (rx=receive)
    send 1MB
    rx R2T for 1MB
    send 1MB
    rx status PDU

    ... whereas some of us imagine something like...

    send CDB PDU
    rx R2T for 128MB
    send 128MB
    rx status PDU

    For short transactions (<1MB) the urgent doesn't help much because R2Ts will
    cover the whole amount of data.

    For long transactions (>1MB) there may be some benefit, although with all
    those R2Ts flying about TCP may lose streaming metrics.  Hmm, I'll give it
    more thought, but this still seems very specialized and closely tied in with
    your (and others) implementation view.

    Daniel Smith.
    --
    IBM Almaden Research Center, 650 Harry Road, San Jose, CA 95120-6099, USA
    K65B/C2 Phone: +1(408)927-2072 Fax: +1(408)927-3010