    ISCSI: More on Urgent pointer

    The discussion on where the Urgent pointer points has
    been oversimplified.  Returning to Silvano's question:

    >  if Command A and Command B are transmitted in the same
    > segment, do you care to specify if the urgent pointer points to the
    > first or second command?

    The Urgent pointer will definitely not point to the first
    command because both commands are in the same segment and
    the Urgent pointer is coalesced by the sending TCP.  It
    might point to the second command, or it might point to
    a command in a future segment that has not arrived (if the
    future command was queued before the segment containing
    A and B was sent).  iSCSI cannot be any more specific
    than this, because to do so (e.g., always require the
    Urgent pointer to point within the segment or to the
    first command within the segment) would violate RFC 793.

    I think Matt and Doug are talking past each other in part
    by assigning different meanings to the term "record mark".
    Doug appears to be using the term "record mark" to refer
    to something that marks every record boundary between
    SCSI commands, allowing any command to be recovered from
    any point in the stream based solely on knowing where its
    "record mark" is.  The Urgent pointer cannot do this (e.g.,
    the above paragraphs describe a counter-example with two
    record boundaries and only one Urgent pointer).  Matt seems
    to have used the term "record mark" to refer to something
    that marks a record boundary somewhere (in the hope that
    his implementation will find the boundary to be useful).

    I will again note that concrete indications from implementers
    of how much of a difference this makes in specific scenarios
    and how often those scenarios occur/can be expected to occur
    would be useful.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500