    RE: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.

    The TOE is designed to deal the segment alignment and coalescing of
    segments.  All I said was that the urgent pointer helps the parsing of the
    segment not changing the alignment.  Without the urgent pointer we need to
    wait for all missing segments before parsing.  Missing data segments do not
    affect the parsing at all.  We know the missing segments are data, the
    buffering requirements for the TOE is dramatically reduced.  For 10 Gb
    Ethernet, there are gigantic TCP windows when latency time on transmission
    is in hundreds of milliseconds.  (All data segments are passed through to
    the application software directly.  Only segments containing iSCSI messages
    are important to the TOE adapter.)  No, I don't wish the TCP sender or
    receiver to be modified as I have said that the TOE adapter would work with
    all clients and servers implemented in traditional TCP.  Only the
    implementation of the TCP software where the TOE adapter is installed needs
    to be modified for adopting the zero-copy function.  Since there is no TCP
    changes, this WG proposal requires no descriptions beyond the iSCSI itself.

    > In your view TCP software must be modified so why stop at
    > specifying the urgent pointer, include frame alignment.  Clearly, you view
    > wire compatibility the only constraint.  Is TCP just a wire specification?

    There are many TCP implementations.  As Matt has said many times, these
    implementations are "inside the box".  TCP does not specify "inside the box"
    implementations.  Our discussions herein is limited to "inside the box."
    Yes, the adapter does do out-of-order and missing frame detection, frame
    alignment, flow control and congestion avoidance for TCP.  However, in
    dealing with the data buffers pre-allocated by application software, the
    flow control is greatly simplified.  Congestion avoidance and timeouts for
    missing segments are totally different stories.  All TCP implementations,
    including the TOE adapter, must follow a number of different RFC's that were
    kindly pointed out to me by many folks in this WG.

    Y.P. Cheng, CTO, ConnectCom Solutions Corp.