    iSCSI sessions: Step 3

    A week ago, I wrote (typo corrected in the following):

    > Now comes the hard part - Symmetric vs. modified
    > Pure Asymmetric (modified by [5] above).  There are
    > over 1000 email messages in my mailbox for the ips
    > mailing list for the past two months, and I freely
    > admit to not having reviewed them in detail.  I suggested
    > in the "Let's try again" email that more weight should
    > be given to those working on implementations, especially
    > hardware, and have not seen any objections to that
    > suggestion.  My impression is that the opinion of such
    > people has been in favor of the Symmetric model -
    > Matt Wakeley (Agilent), and Somesh Gupta (HP) come
    > to mind as examples.  I'm not confident that this is
    > the WG consensus, but it appears to me that the
    > WG is headed in that direction.  Please comment on
    > this - the absence of comments/objections will be
    > taken as a sign of agreement.

    The only dissenting comment I've seen to this is from
    Matt Wakeley.  It appears to go against two items
    of WG consensus - Matt favored *un*modified Pure Asymmetric
    with support for two TCP connections per iSCSI session
    REQUIRED, whereas the WG consensus appears to
    be a) that only modified Pure Asymmetric is to be further
    considered, and b) support for more than one TCP connection
    per iSCSI session is to remain OPTIONAL.

    Given the amount of heated discussion on this issue
    in the past, I hesitate to call/state WG consensus at
    this point in time,  but I do think it's reasonable to direct
    the iSCSI specification draft authors to specify a Symmetric
    model for multi-connection sessions in the next version
    of the draft (and hence they should consider themselves
    so directed).

    When the next version of the draft appears, there will be
    an opportunity for further review of this direction, including
    the details that are specified (e.g., how error recovery works).
    I would ask everyone to refrain from further discussion of
    sessions until that draft appears, and would suggest that
    anyone who believes that a different model should be chosen
    ought to write and submit an Internet-Draft describing the
    alternate model to a similar level of detail.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500