    RE: iSCSI: More on naming and discovery

    David Black,
    You said "...requiring a DNS resolution to find the storage required to get
    the server up to the first point at which it can be worked on (e.g., single
    user mode in Unix) is an invitation to trouble".

    I am not sure that I believe that as much as you, however, there is
    probably a reasonable compromise.

    First, I think of our networks today depend on a DNS.  But also most of our
    systems have a way to manually handle the inputting of an IP address. (They
    do this because in some places, like Small-Office/Home-Office (SOHO)
    networks there may not be a DNS.  But also there is the valid points that
    you made about not being dependent on DNS.  In fact most vendors seem to
    agree since they do not want their products stained with the problems
    caused by a DNS.  (Yes, some IT groups do not have backups for their DNS.)
    However, since most rational IT group have one or more backup DNSs, they
    can usually be used.  I also know or situations where the vendor,
    regardless of how the IP address was acquired, has made sure that they
    recorded in some non volatile way,  the last IP address they used that was
    in some way KEY to that application (or HW).  Sometimes this is in battery
    backed RAM, sometimes in Eprom, etc.

    I do think that from an "appliance" type mind set, we should factor in a
    DNS approach where human understandable names are used.  It should,
    however, be up to the vendor to decide if they have additional ways to
    handle the first time startup IP address, and the saving of the last used
    IP address, and even manual overrides.

    Also there may be a valid point about using the DHCP technique for Boot,  I
    think we need more discussion on that point.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd