    Re: Status summary on multiple connections

    Lyndon:

    Comments below.. sorry in the delay.. I got a
    bit behind being away from email for this group
    is a bad thing :-) It takes a while to catch up :0

    Lyndon Ong wrote:

    > At 08:05 AM 10/2/2000 -0700, Y P Cheng wrote:
    > >Randall and Mark:
    > >
    > >Both of you forget about the case when multiple PDUs are inflight, say N,
    > >N+1, and N+2, and one of them has CRC error, say N+1.  The receiver throws
    > >away N+1 because the bad CRC.  N+2 is received long before N+1 is
    > >retransmitted after a timeout by the sender.  Of course, a sequence number
    > >inside the PDU will ensure sequentially.  However, as I stated in another
    > >posting, all software realize such problem and will not count on sequential
    > >delivery by a transport.
    > >
    > >Y.P.
    >
    > This confuses me.  Why would the application ever see the N+2 PDU, wouldn't
    > it be queued by TCP until N+1 is delivered correctly?  It shouldn't matter
    > if N+2 was delivered first or if it contains a sequence number at the
    > higher layer, the higher layer would not get N+2 before N+1.
    >
    > TCP would presumably not be aware of the boundaries between messages at the
    > higher layer, but deliver what it sees as a stream of bits.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > L. Ong

    The above as I see it is exactly correct. In YP's example the upper
    layer
    above TCP will NEVER see N+2 if N+1 is not ready to be delivered. This
    is the "head of line" issue that we needed to get around in sigtran.
    N+2 will be held by TCP until N+1 is retransmitted via either
    fast-retransmit
    or timeout. Once N+1 arrives presto.. both will be presented in the
    proper order to the upper layer...

    And as far as message boundaries... there is NO such think in TCP.. it
    is just a stream of bytes...

    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com
    815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)