    RE: iSCSI: problem with LUN discovery

    Lets make sure we are talking within the same context.  In my view, LUN is
    an address, not a name.  It is like the Dept. 514 of IBM Storage Division.
    Another company certainly can have a Dept. 514 as well.  If EMC provide data
    services to hundreds of companies, the data are housed in different logical
    volumes with different LUNs.  The owner of a volume will change, but the
    LUNs stay around.  Each LUN or volume consists of many disks, each will have
    a GUID so we can tell if someone swap out the disks on us.  One only gets to
    see the LUNs assigned to him, aka LUN Masking.  To know which volume a
    client is permitted to access has nothing to do with the LUN uniqueness.  A
    volume has a unique name like Engineering-of-Connectcom.  But the uniqueness
    is only within the EMC Storage Division.  We certain can have a
    Engineering-of-Connectcom at IBM Storage Division.  We find the URLs of EMC
    and IBM Storage Divisions using a different services.  When login and
    authenticate, we get the LUN of Engineering-of-Connectcom. Therefore, I
    missed your point on needing WWN for LUN naming.

    > I think that the best way is to identify a LUN by a string composed by a
    > <GUID> (or S/N) <date> and <time> of the LUN creation. This
    > method allows to
    > create infinite LUNs (over the time) in a given controller.
    > Keeping this string in the media and presented it in a Inquiry page avoids
    > the identification problems in controllers with multiple channels, that
    > supports different mapping for multiple initiators.

    What you suggested should be in the mode page defined by SAM-2.  Given the
    access of a particular LUN comes before one has a chance to send the inquiry
    command..

    Y.P. Cheng, CTO, ConnectCom Solutions Corp.>