    Re: SCSI URL scheme

    Raghavendra Rao,
    Today, and perhaps into the future, it is up to the Storage Controller to
    permit access, from the approprate Host (initiators), to the approprate LUs
    (disks).  They only return to the Report LUNs requestor those LUNs that the
    initiators are authorized to see.  I think that is a good thing.

    In the example you focus on, says that it is a problem for 100s of  systems
    issuing a Report LUNs, and Inquiry commands.  Since most of the remote
    systems will probably only request one disk, it will probably be only the
    logical LU0 which they are permitted to see.  I do not see a problem there.
    In fact even if they have a 100 LUs that they are permitted to get at, I do
    not see a problem with the Report LUNs sending back the LU#s that each of
    those systems are authorized to use, and those systems issuing the Inquiry
    commands to those authorized LUs.  (The interaction is trivial.)

    This is the way things work today, and at the moment I do not think it is
    broken.   It is the ultimate target that is responsible for enforcing the
    authorization process that the installation establishes.  Today, with the
    lack of good security in the FC network, we have a problem which we can
    address with iSCSI.  But after we get good Authentication, it seems to me
    that the Storage Controller enforcement of what initiators can address
    which LUs is good and approprate.

    .
    .
    .