    RE: iSCSI Naming and Discovery

    Julo,

    You anticipate building equipment that parses a flavor of SCSI packets to
    route within a mixed SCSI and IP private address space?  I was expecting
    that once you found the SCSI portal, you were in a SCSI address space.  This
    SCSI/IP router is not going to be easy to build with all the parsing and
    name lookups and authentication you are assigning to it. Even CISCO manages
    to separate the task of name lookup, routing and authentication.  The client
    does the name lookup, the router deals with IPs exclusively and if you want
    inside a private address space, you set up a tunnel.  Now, you have a box
    that must maintain TCP connections, authenticate, parse, do name lookups,
    route internally over either SCSI or IP, and then of course remember the
    path back to the original query.  Now that is impressive.

    There are tunneling protocols that handle this in a generic fashion that
    frees you of these details unless you really want to develop this equipment.
    Should this be done at the high end, your equipment will be handling 10G-bit
    connections.  I doubt you have anything that can do what you suggest at
    100M-bit.  I know you do not want to hear this, but I understand that SCTP
    has a generic solution for this problem.

    Doug