    RE: Status summary on multiple connections

    <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>

    -------
    > commands inflight.  My preference is letting the target accept the N+2 as
    > long as the application software does not mind out-of-order execution.  For
    > folks who design tape drives, I don't recall if we ever send multiple writes
    > without interleaving data. In fact, if we need write a large amount of data
    > to a tape drive, instead of multiple commands, we should have one command
    > with a very large block count.  With one command at a time, there should not
    > be any out-of-order execution problem.  Modern tape drives are doing "lying
    > writes", i.e. accepting write data immediately after the command, then
    > report command complete before data is written to the media.  By accepting a
    > write, receiving data, and report completion sequentially, there is no need
    > to accept more than one write command at a time.  On reading from a tape, we
    > could send multiple reads to keep the pipeline filled.

    Well, on reads, a similar problem could occur, and for both read and write
    it is just wrong to execute anything out-of-order for a sequential access
    device, which otherwise will cause reading/writing from wrong/un-intended
    location; This is simply because you aren't writing/reading from an absolute
    location rather from the current location (the position of head) - The read
    or write CDB for a sequential access device doesn't contain the block or file
    position to write/read.

    -JP