    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Milan,

    > I'd like to chime in with my agreement, worded a bit differently:
    >
    > 1) I believe large systems (spanning the Internet) will at some point
    >    need some form of proxy/gateway/NAT because:
    >     - addresses in one realm won't be legal in another realm
    >     - the owner of a realm does not want any of its internals revealed
    >     - those internals are changeable, and the owner wants to isolate
    >        outsiders from the impact of those changes.

    In suggesting a desire to allow dynamic routing, you are insisting on
    designing a new type of name server.  At some point, even the names would
    need to be shared with the client.  To maintain these names and internal
    addresses, LDAP provides this services.  LDAP would allow isolation and
    control in both the realm of the client and the provider.

    > 2) Authentication, privacy (a.k.a. encryption), etc are indeed a separate
    >    issue from end-point naming.

    Yes, but you would need to resolve the name before checking the
    authentication.  You have made the process of checking and routing more
    difficult.  It is also unlikely that the address space will look anything
    like an IP address.  It is also likely some vendors may require additional
    parameters shared between the client and provider.  LDAP allows for such
    sharing.

    > 2a) Information obtained by observing and parsing an embedded identifier
    >    should have no impact on overall security - We aren't relying on
    >    "security by obscurity," after all.

    You are making security weaker by any measure.  Why insist on adding a
    parser to SCSI transport?  Let LDAP do the parsing and providing the
    directory structures.  Why re-invent this?

    > 2b) ditto, whether those identifiers are human-readable or not.
    >

    > 3) Let's assume that the available tools and techniques of DNS, URLs,
    >    etc are there to be leveraged, and let's see where it takes us.
    >    I'd rather spend our time delivering a robust application,
    >    rather than inventing optimized replacements for common
    >    Internet tools.

    In my knowledge, there is no SCSI name server.  Although there are
    pre-existing concepts of DNS and URLs, these do not apply to SCSI, they
    apply to IP.  This is not IP, this is SCSI.  If you wish leverage, use LDAP.
    Otherwise, you will spend your time parsing script, managing databases, and
    making access tools for sharing this information between clients and
    providers.

    Doug