    Re: ISCSI: draft-wakeley-iscsi-msgbndry-00.txt

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Franco Travostino <travos@nortelnetworks.com>
    To: Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>; GUPTA,SOMESH (HP-Cupertino,ex1) <somesh_gupta@am.exch.hp.com>; IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Date: Saturday, September 30, 2000 12:25 PM
    Subject: Re: ISCSI: draft-wakeley-iscsi-msgbndry-00.txt

    IMO, 'Customized' and 'closely coupled' reads also as a protocol layering violation. This raises concerns of architectural and practical nature. For one, low-cost commodity TCP silicons will come in one shape, and they better be agnostic to whatever the client(s) are.
    I would disagree with the above.  The actual TCP protocol algorithms are a small part of the challenge
    of building an accelerated NIC.  Much more important are placing data in the correct destination
    buffer so that the host need not do any copies, careful design of interrupt strategy so that host
    OS is interrupted only when absolutely necessary, and efficient control communications between NIC
    and host so as not to cause the NIC or the host to stall unnecessarily waiting for IO bus
    transaction completion.  In order to achieve this, the NIC must understand it detail
    the client protocol using TCP, and must to some extent merge the protocol layers.

    I would argue that merging protocol layers in the implementation is not a "layering violation"
    provided that the layered protocol definition as viewed from the wire is not violated
    and interoperability is not broken with layered implementations.

    The implementation space has historically been fragmented over urgent pointer semantics, I'd hope that we do not raise this entropy with new iSCSI self-serving flavors.

    Alternately, it there is a contribution on urgent pointer matters that is of general applicability, it could be submitted as a general purpose amendment to TCP for framing (with the same general applicability statement that was applied to the RDMA thread). Other communities (say http 1.x) may add their support.
    The counter argument is that the meaning of urgent data is iSCSI specific and not
    general to TCP, and that each TCP client protocol is allowed to define urgent
    data to its own liking.  To me the operative question (which I won't presume to
    answer) is whether Matt's proposal is broken by any current implementations or
    could be broken by any reasonable implementations which are in compliance with
    the relevant TCP/IP RFCs.