    From: Robert Snively [mailto:rsnively@Brocade.COM]
    Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 8:29 AM
    To: 'Matt Wakeley'; IPS Reflector
    Subject: RE:Why FCP doesn't need RDMA? It has a better way.

    >  I object to mandating iSCSI use an RDMA option because:
    >
    >  - (main reason) there isn't any standardized mechanism now, and I
    >    don't want to hold up iSCSI while one crawls through the
    >  standards process.
    >
    >  - I don't think RDMA is needed.  FCP doesn't use it, and it
    >  works great with
    >  the
    >    FC protocol chips that "accelerate" FCP.

    Actually, RDMA is not needed in FCP because all protocol chips
    implemented perform a real peer-to-peer DMA straight to the
    data areas specified by the user's interaction with the operating
    systems allocation algorithms.  The combination of the FCP/SCSI
    pointer structure, task tagging, and the FC relative offset perform the
    function you would otherwise have to use RDMA to accomplish.

    Bob Snively
    Brocade Communications           Phone  408 487 8135
    1745 Technology Drive
    San Jose, CA 95110               Email   rsnively@brocade.com