    RE: Why FCP doesn't need RDMA? It has a better way.

    Yes, we must have a common DMA/RDMA mechanism for iSCSI whether the iSCSI
    PDU travels on Ethernet, 1394, fibre channel, or InifiniBand.  (FYI, there
    are TCP/IP and SCSI implementations on 1394).  For most adapters, not all,
    they get the DMA destination address from the device driver.  The incoming
    data frames only specifies an offset from the destination.  The exchange ID
    or SCSI tag identify a request, hence, the DMA destination.  For VI RDMA the
    initiator sends a memory handle in the FC-VI header to the target, which, in
    turn, passes the handle back together with an offset to read or write the
    initiator's memory.  For 1394 the target gets an ORB, Operation Request
    Block, from the initiator.  In the ORB, a scatter and gather list of the
    initiator's memory is provided.  The target works through the scatter/gather
    list using a "physical read or write" protocol unique to 1394.  This lack of
    a commonality puts a lot burden on the adapters to deal with different
    protocols. IP, FCP, and VI all have different locations for their offsets
    and not everyone use the fibre channel exchange ID.  I have not read the
    TCP/RDMA proposal, but, something like the ORB of 1394 would be nice.  This
    gives total control to a target with minimum interference to an initiator.
    We should have a mechanism in iSCSI to allow some adapters to execute
    100,000 IOs per second.  Of course, not all adapters will be required to
    support DMA/RDMA.  Keep in mind, while God forbids, some iSCSI
    implementation might not use TCP/IP or SCTP. I hope, this does not violate
    the charter the WG.  Yes, this DMA/RDMA discussion can take months.   :-)

    Y.P. Cheng, CTO, ConnectCom Solutions Corp.