    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Julo,

    I am sorry, but I disagree with you both practically and philosophically.
    Textual names are practically useless as identifiers, as witness the
    challenge of finding "Bob Smith" in an American phonebook.  Every
    time you walk into a store where your name is kept in a data base,
    they ask for your phone number, not your name.  Your passport,
    credit card, driver's license, and all other useful identifiers
    use a registered number set that allows for no (legal) duplication.

    SCSI has taken the same approach with LUN identification, recommending
    one of several registered numbers as the sole and immutable designation
    of the logical unit.

    Fibre Channel and Ethernet have taken the same approach at the
    Port/Node WWN and MAC address level.

    Use of a URL is a virtualization of the underlying name structure
    and should not be implemented except as a temporary convenience for the
    highest level client who is constrained to a very small search
    subset by his login authorizations.  The virtualization is always
    at risk of security breaches.

    In the storage environment, the underlying structure is of vital
    interest.  Any given data is present on specified physical and
    logical units and consistency of the data is maintained on the
    basis of an intermediate view of the lower level addressing structure
    which must also have the proper uniqueness guarantees.

    Address it with a URL on the browser if you wish, but understand that
    you are talking to a data block on a single storage unit attached to
    a network server having a specified IP address mapped to a
    registered MAC address.

    Bob