    RE: multiple connections

    > Thanks for your prompt answer.  However I will try to summarize the views
    as I heard them
    > only to keep tab on where we stand at the point the discussion was
    interrupted and state
    > the (rather long) line of thought that makes us all feel that the design
    should include
    > multiple connections from the outset. We can then stop discussing it for a
    while.

    If such a message is posted it will set off more discussion ... this
    community seems
    reluctant to grant anyone the proverbial "last word" in that sort of
    fashion.  Please consider
    whether posting such a message is likely to produce progress towards
    consensus.

    > I feel also that the community had no chance to see a draft including an
    asymmetric
    > multiple connection model and it might be a worthwhile exercise to present
    > one as an (optional text) with the next draft.

    Please put the (optional text) into a separate draft - as long as the
    Asymmetric vs.
    Symmetric issue is open, neither should be described in the main draft, lest
    people not familiar with the day to day happenings on this list draw the
    wrong
    conclusions.  Preparing such a draft with all the details worked out would
    indeed
    be useful, as would corresponding drafts on the other possible models.

    > I would like also - only to be fair - to point out -
    > as others have done before - that by removing the command counters and the
    sliding
    > window you have, for all practical purposes, closed the door to the
    > symmetric multiple connection version.

    Subsequent to saying that the command numbers should be removed, I got a
    bunch
    of complaints that the numbers were also useful for flow control, even for
    single
    connection sessions and hence reopened the flow control discussion.  If
    consensus
    is that flow control really needs the command numbers, putting them back in
    is fine.
    It would also be reasonable to advocate that the fields that contained the
    command
    numbers be Reserved in the single connection case.  On the list, I see a set
    of people
    who seem to be primarily interested in single connection sessions, and hence
    for
    whom simplicity of the protocol in the single connection case is an
    important
    consideration.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500