    RE: multiple connections

    Julian,

    I have to ask you not to do that.  There is consensus
    in the WG that multiple connection sessions are an
    important feature that needs to be specified, but
    should be optional to implement.  There is NOT consensus
    on what the right design approach is.  I have off-line
    email from proponents of both the Asymmetric and Symmetric
    multi-connection session models expressing dismay
    at the separation of them from the main specification
    and arguing that their preferred approach is the right
    one.  These reinforce my observations that there is
    no consensus on the issue, and that the mailing list
    discussion is unlikely to achieve consensus.  As I
    stated in earlier email, the requirement for
    multiple connection sessions has not been removed,
    but spending the next 6-8 weeks discussing it on the
    mailing list does not appear likely to achieve consensus.
    We need to try something else, namely an off-line
    design team.  In the near term, list bandwidth is
    better used to make progress on issues where
    progress is still possible, such as flow control.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500