    Re: iSCSI Security Protocol

    Joshua,

    What I meant in “forcing to use IPsec” is that you must have an authentication
    mechanism in the iSCSI spec if your client does not support IPsec.

    Several other drawbacks for IPsec:

    · The iSCSI will use different AH for the header and the data, thus enable fast
    performance in iSCSI gateways applications (where the header is modified and the
    message is forwarded – only the header AH need to be calculated).

    · The point you mentioned, using tunnel mode IPsec may cause some problems while
    traveling through gateways and proxies.

    So, the system administrator can set and configure the system as he wishes. If
    the system supports IPsec, iSCSI authentication will not be needed.

    If you have any results from tests with IPsec performance, let us know!

    Regards,

    Yaron