    RE: A Transport Protocol Without ACK (resend)

    Robert,

    The reason we proposed immediate write data for iSCSI was as an optimization
    for short writes over "long" networks.  As network diameter increases,
    minimizing round-trip signalling delays becomes important.  Sending write
    data immediately following the command eliminates the need for an RTT from
    the target, and thus eliminates a round-trip delay.

    If immediate data threatens to overflow the target's cache, the target may,
    on an emergency basis, discard the data; and, when ready, request data again
    using the RTT protocol.  This behavior should be minimized, however, as it
    will tend to congest the network.

    Note the use of SCSI-layer flow control (RTT mechanism).  I agree with those
    that say a controller must manage its cache, regardless of the size of the
    cache.  This is most apparent when one considers multiple hosts sharing a
    storage controller.  In order to allocate performance between the hosts, the
    controller must ensure that a write burst from a single host cannot fill its
    cache.  RTT provides a means for doing this that still allows other commands
    (read commands, for example) from the same host to proceed.

    However, reserving a few MB of cache for each host, to accommodate immediate
    writes, seems to me reasonable.  The command windowing mechanism (another
    flow control mechanism) will prevent the overrunning of these immediate
    write buffers, assuming that the controller has reserved space in proportion
    to the largest immediate buffer allowed (which is negotiated) x the maximum
    number of commands.

    Upon writing this, it occurs to me that it may be useful to add an
    XOF/XON-like mechanism for temporarily disallowing immediate write data.
    This would give the controller another tool for cache management.  When its
    cache became congested, the controller could signal one or more of the
    requesting hosts to stop sending immediate write data with commands; later,
    another message could allow immediate writes to resume.  These messages
    would need to make it to the iSCSI layer in the hosts, as they will affect
    how the host does DMA chain construction.

    Randy Haagens
    Director, Networked Storage Architecture
    Storage Organization
    Hewlett-Packard Co.
    tel. +1 916 785 4578