    iSCSI: Session Partial Resolution Clarifications

    A few clarifications based on the last day's worth of email.

    - The "flow control" issue is definitely still
    open.  The sliding window mechanism is one way of
    addressing this, but I'd venture that it may not
    be the one that would get chosen if this were the
    only goal.  So the "flow control" issue is definitely
    open, and if that results in putting back the
    reference numbers and sliding windows, so be it ...
    but not without a serious consideration of other
    design alternatives such as capacity advertisement
    on login and credit-based mechanisms.  Keep in
    mind that this is iSCSI-level flow control; the
    WG does not have a license to tinker with TCP's
    flow and congestion control.

    - The requirement for OPTIONAL support of multiple
    connection sessions has not gone away; the intent is
    to address it in a separate document in order to
    make progress on the main document.  I'm assuming
    (and should have stated, sorry), that the main iSCSI
    document will continue to contain a negotiation
    mechanism sufficient to set up any of the connection
    models that have been proposed.  My understanding is
    that contains sufficient "hooks" as that term has
    been used by Matt Wakeley and Michael Krause, but
    alternative views (e.g., we need to set aside n bytes
    of Reserved fields for future use in the headers now)
    are welcome.

    - Those who want to continue to debate multiple connection
    sessions on the list need to explain what will be
    different that will avoid spending another 6 weeks and
    not getting to consensus.  In the absence of such an
    explanation, expect to see active discouragement of such
    traffic on the list.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500