    RE: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI)

    Michael Krause [mailto:krause@cup.hp.com] wrote:

    > [snip]
    > RDMA != VI though VI does use RDMA technologies.

    Agreed. It is an example

    > Prefer to
    > see discussion
    > focused on what RDMA operations are required, what are the error and
    > ordering requirements, etc.

    I think RDMA reads and writes to the initiator are the only operations
    needed. As someone here recently argued in the context of TCP/IP
    performance, it is the storage clients which most need to offload CPU.

    I haven't thought through error and ordering requirements, although the
    notion is of course to allow out-of-order processing of RDMA, given some
    framing assist from TCP.

    > [snip]
    > As such, a general
    > purpose RDMA
    > solution which operates over TCP/IP is the optimal solution
    > to pursue since
    > it will lead to the broadest industry and customer adoption rate.

    I think we are in complete agreement.

    Regards,
    -Steve

    Steve Byan