    Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping

    Peter,
    By "transport-dependent" I assume you mean dependent on the SCSI transport
    (in our case iSCSI, similar to the WWN used in FCP) rather than on TCP. You
    seem to be suggesting that we should define in iSCSI a way to name and
    discover LUs  without performing SCSI Inquiry commands. (Do I understand
    you correctly?) Can you please give a scenario of the type of case you have
    in mind with the benefits of introducing this new feature? In your
    scenario, would the ability to name the particular LU be crucial, or would
    it still be sufficient to simply name the target device and then perform
    Inquiry on the target device?

    Could you also suggest how you think the naming of a particular LU should
    be specified?

    Thanks,
    - Kalman

    Peter Johansson <PJohansson@ACM.org> on 18/09/2000 01:03:10