    RE: A Transport Protocol Without ACK

    Cheng,

    The feature you desire is out of sequence data processing.  As far as SCSI
    is concerned, either the request is completed with read data or a write
    response and has nothing to do with return of ACKs except in the condition
    where a sequence must be maintained.  The principle feature VI offered was
    out of order delivery and SCSI typically also has this behavior.  TCP is a
    constriction to this freedom and it represents a sizeable performance loss
    with head of queue blocking.  To design a system that requires head of queue
    blocking, recovery must process at twice a normal rate due to parked frames.
    A pointer scheme as a TCP option to provide framing and out of sequence
    processing opens the window of allowable sequences increasing susceptibility
    to spoofing and muddles the state of the receiver.  A second pass of TCP is
    not likely to produce the same frame boundaries and is ugly to handle.  What
    happens when this pointer is wrong.

    SCTP provides these features and removes the multiple independent
    connections. SCSI protocol expects the target to be in control of the
    exchange.  Allowing advanced sending in the form of a credit from the target
    does not change SCSI protocol.  Creating check-conditions as a means of
    control violates SCSI and will likely choke the applications.  Discarding
    data is a waste of network bandwidth.  As it is intended to be the
    aggregation of many logical devices, IP transport can not provide flow
    control to each device.  You need an additional scheme.  In the case of FC,
    the solicitations from the target seems like a small cost compared to the
    present specification.

    Doug