    Re: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Pierre,
    >
    > That is the essence of Kalman's proposal (and that differentiates it from
    > draft-00 and from an unplanned-allegiance that we
    > discussed in the loby of a hote in Adelaide 100 years ago.

    I disagree, there is a fundamental difference with the Kalman draft:  in the
    proposal below
    always cmd/data/status goes on the same TCP connection. It is not the case
    in the Kalman
    draft. The fact that in the Kalman draft the end of data notification and
    command status
    comes on two different TCP connection (thus 2 NICs most of the time) implies
    an important
    CPU overhead on the initiator to manage the READ command completion as
    described
    by Somesh Gupta. You need for each READ to work accross two NICs. You will
    double
    the work on each read completion. Moreover you will double the number of
    cache misses
    because you need to read completion information from two NICs. And cache
    misses
    are really stalling your CPUs.
    It's a reason for what i can't agree on the Kalman proposal. You don't have
    this penalty
    in the proposal below.

    Regards,

    Pierre