    Re: patent question

    It's worth looking up the patent at www.patents.ibm.com.  Steve
    Blumenau might even be lurking on this list; comments, Steve?

    My reading of this (and certainly I'm no lawyer) is that it's only
    about having two computers that already have SCSI devices attached to
    them pass SCSI commands between them to be proxied to the attached
    devices.  It has nothing to do with having the devices themselves speak
    SCSI over a network protocol. It does appear to intend to apply to any
    network protocol, not simply IP. Mentions ethernet a lot.

    So, as I see it, it's possible that this could affect host
    implementations, but doesn't seem at all relevant to device-side
    implementations of iSCSI. Seems to me that it's pretty obvious once you
    have a device that speaks SCSI over a network that the host has to be
    able to package up the commands to send to it. I suspect it's only
    EMC's remote mirroring that's truly defended by this patent.

    The patent doesn't really have a "related work" section, but I find it
    unlikely that Blumenau was unaware of things like SCSI-GPP and
    VAXclusters' MSCP, which have been discussed here before, even if he
    wasn't aware of the research at LLNL or ISI.

    The submission date on the patent, btw, is Jan. 14, 1998, and it was
    issued Nov. 30, 1999.

    			--Rod