    Re: TCP speed

    Y P Cheng wrote:

    > Julo wrote:
    > >Our experience is the same. TCP is FAST.
    > >The only remaining trouble is memory copy from TCP buffers
    > >to application buffers. Unless
    > >handled properly this may slow you down considerably.
    >
    > The issue is not the TCP memory to memory copy speed, it is the latency time
    > of receiving TCP acknowledges.  Between two endpoints of New York and Los
    > Angeles, latency is in milliseconds if not in seconds.  On a one-gigabit
    > network, for each millisecond there are 100K of data, or 66 1.5K datagrams
    > being transferred.  In fibre channel, there is this EE-credit, End-to-End.

    This is used in Fibre Channel class 1 and class 2 service, neither of which is
    mainstream fibre channel.  Most implementations use class 3 - no EE credit.

    But I fail to see your point.  You state how FC has EE credit, and make it sound
    like a good think, and then say it's a bad reason for using TCP...

    > If the sending party has 10 EE credits, it can't send more than 10
    > datagrams.  EE-credit manages the TCP sliding window currently discussed in
    > iSCSI.  After sending 10 datagrams, one must wait for acknowledges that may
    > take several hundred milliseconds to come.
    >
    > I do believe TCP is a wrong protocol for iSCSI.  A SCSI request from an
    > initiator is inherently acknowledged by its response from a target.
    > Therefore, UDP for iSCSI is a better choice.  NFS is implemented on UDP.
    >
    > The real question is how many datagrams can we pipe to a receiving node
    > without causing overrun.  This issue is being addressed by the number of
    > receiving buffers inside the NIC adapter that moves data directly to the
    > buffers of an application (known as remote DMA in VI for InfiniBand, or
    > physical writes in 1394, or exchange handling in fibre channel.)  It is a
    > challenge for people who design the NIC adapter hardware which must keep up
    > with the speed of connecting media at two gigabits per second today and 10
    > gigabits next year.
    >
    > The TCP memory to memory copy speed is irrelevant if we have a NIC adapter
    > that can transfer data directly to buffers of application software.  If we
    > don't have such an adapter, it is an impossible task in trying to define a
    > protocol regulating hundreds of SCSI target devices returning data to a
    > single SCSI initiator at the same time.  If we slow it down by allowing only
    > one SCSI target to return data at a time, then, with the long latency time
    > between two nodes, iSCSI does not stand a chance in the world of OC-192,
    > gigabit Ethernet, Fibre Channel, InfiniBand, and even 1394B.

    -Matt