    Re: Data in SCSI Response or SCSI Data

    If we colud gain something by removing the residuals I would agree. But if
    we stay
    within the length and having residuals is generaly not considered an error
    then why
    do it?

    Julo

    "Matt Wakeley" <matt_wakeley@agilent.com> on 08/09/2000 23:01:37

    Please respond to Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>

    To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:    (bcc: Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM)
    Subject:  Re: Data in SCSI Response or SCSI Data

    Douglas Otis wrote:

    > Bob,
    >
    > Thanks, that helps an understanding of this PDU 0x45.  If iSCSI is to
    copy
    > FCP

    I think this needs clarification. iSCSI is *NOT* copying FCP. iSCSI is
    attempting to transport SCSI over TCP/IP.  It just so happens that the end
    result looks similar to what FCP did.

    > then it should send a response structure as FCP and not one or two and
    > use it according to FCP.  Undefined information of what some consider
    SCSI
    > values cause variants in use.  I have not seen tape drives use Good Sense
    > residual but vary in how Check Sense residual is presented.  If iSCSI is
    > copy FC, then why deviate on response symmetry?  At least this provides
    an
    > easier bridge.  Iterative read operations will carry unused values to be
    > examined and opens the door for further variants.  Status presented prior
    > data must then ensure sequence without end confirmation.

    Who said anything that status was presented before data?
    iSCSI allows the LAST iSCSI PDU that completes a SCSI command to also
    contain
    the GOOD SCSI status in the header, so that extra overhead to send the
    status
    PDU.

    Julian, if it will make this issue go away, maybe the residual fields
    should be
    removed from the data PDU.  If there is residual, it will be sent in a
    status
    PDU.

    -Matt