    Re: a vote for asymmetric connections in a session

    Charles Monia wrote:
    <snip....snip>
    > I'm not sure what is meant by "congestion."  If we're talking about
    > congestion in the TCP/IP transport, I'm in agreement.  However, I thought we
    > were referring to the sort of congestion that  the application on top of
    > iSCSI might see if it received more commands than it had room for.
    >
    > Unless I misunderstood your point, threfore, I think there might be an
    > issue. The only way I can see flow control in the tranport layer being used
    > to avoid dropping commands is if higher layer congestion results in back
    > pressure to the iSCSI pipe.  I believe that behavior is undesirable because
    > it introduces "head-of-line" blocking, with the following consequences:

    Any time you get ANY retransmissions in TCP you will create a
    "head-of-line"
    blocking scenario. This does not matter if it is from flow control as
    you state or network congestion where a packet is dropped by a router.
    You will have situations where the TCP is holding data waiting for the
    retransmissions of an earlier packet... this is one of the reasons
    that sigtran developed SCTP...

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com