    Re: Assymetric connections [WAS: Re: iSCSI Autosense Consensus, Connection next steps]

    csapuntz@cisco.com wrote:

    > Hi Randall,
    >
    > > > * iSCSI data/ready to transmit (rtt)
    > > >         - potentially high bandwidth
    > > >         - with appropriate headers, segments can be
    > > >           processed entirely out-of-order
    > > >         - simple data transfer state machine
    > > >         - no flow control on data needed, just congestion control
    > > >                    - rtt's need to be flow-controlled, but
    > > >                      that can be done with a simple credit mechanism
    > > >         - data needs to end up in special buffers (e.g. buffer cache)
    > > >
    > > I understand how you will obtain all of the above with
    > > two TCP connecions. I can even support this, considering
    > > the 1 for control is "low bandwidth" (note: I can't support
    > > N data connections.. only 1).
    >
    > Thanks for pointing this out. The wording was a bit loose.
    >
    > How does this sound?
    >
    > Multiple parallel data connections should only be used in the
    > presence of an ECM-like congestion layer that does congestion
    > control on macro-flows.

    Much better :) but are you going to use the standard SHOULD/MUST/MUST
    NOT
    conventions? I did not see the standard pointers in the document
    and I also did not see any MUST/SHOULD's in here..

    I think the above needs to not be a should but more a MUST... how about

    "
    If multiple parallel data connections are to be used, they MUST
    be used with an ECM-like congestion layer that does congestion
    control on macro-flows.
    "

    Also you may need to put some references in to ECM or describe
    it some where :)

    > > But my question is to the Data connection. How do you get
    > > "no flow control on data needed, just congestion control" on
    > > a TCP connection?
    >
    > You don't, but you can approximate it by opening the window to 1-2
    > gigabytes.

    As long as the data buffers are there to support this it should
    be no problem. I have found in my playing that often times if
    the kernel underneath has some buffer set (say 64k in a solaris
    TLI UDP stack) a user application above this that tries to set a
    window above 64k is wasting its time i.e. you start getting data
    losses at the host, a very sad occurance when you transport it
    all the way across a large IP network :0

    But I have to assume we are talking about not your ordinary TCP/IP
    stack here by the things that are being asked... or one that has
    some extra knobs to turn...

    I am still unsure how you will get unordered messages across though...

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com