    Re: iSCSI Autosense Consensus, Connection next steps

    > You talked about Transport layer and Wedge layers.  I guess I do not know
    > exactly what to call iSCSI if given these two options, other then to
    > consider iSCSI part of the SCSI Transport (layer).  It is a device specific
    > driver, which in this case deals with iSCSI Devices.

    I guess we have a terminological gap here.

    Here's how I understand the terms.

    Generally, I believe the term `transport layer' is used to describe
    the uppermost layer in a stack that carries data, without any
    particular thought to what the data is.  For example, ST, TCP, UDP,
    FC-2.

    Above the transport layer are layers that know what the particular
    data being carried is e.g. FTP, NFS, HTTP.  Clearly this `knowing' is
    relative---an HTTP layer doesn't know everything about the data it's
    carrying, but it knows more than nothing.  These more specialized
    protocols are called upper layer protocols (ULPs).  The iSCSI protocol
    is one of these ULPs.

    The layers above iSCSI are the parts of a SCSI stack.  Typically this
    includes a mux/demux layer, and, above that, a set of SCSI peripheral
    drivers (disk, tape, cluster communication, etc..).  SCSI wedge
    drivers are in this SCSI stack, hooked somehow (on top, bottom or
    possibly in the guts), to the mux/demux layer.

    > I do not think we should call iSCSI a Wedge Driver.

    Agreed.  My mistake if I suggested that that's how I was thinking of
    it.  iSCSI is a protocol.  An iSCSI driver is both a SCSI port driver
    and a network protocol driver, certainly not a wedge driver.

    > Having said all that, I think the point you wanted to make was: if the
    > command load balancing functions can not be done in the xxxx/IP transport
    > then no one should do it.

    No.  The point I am trying to make is that if CONNECTION-level load
    balancing (or connection bundling) services are not available from the
    transport layer (TCP, ST, STCP, etc.), iSCSI should not take this
    responsibility for itself.  I did not say no one should do it.  The
    clear implication if iSCSI does not directly support transport
    connection bundling, is that a layer above iSCSI will do it.  That is
    what wedge drivers do presently.

    When we started bringing up FC controllers, existing ||SCSI
    multipathing code worked as-is.  Nobody in the legacy (%^) network
    SCSI community (FCP) seems to feel a compelling need to add transport
    layer connection bundling.  We certainly didn't see any need to
    reinvent that wheel early on, and I still don't see it.

    > I think that David is correct the only point that I was making was that if
    > iSCSI was able to do the load balancing and some Generic Alternate Path
    > recovery, that the Vendor Specific Wedge Drivers will be much simpler.

    Or, my guess is that the support just won't be used.  After all, these
    same wedge drivers already support all types of different SCSI
    interfaces (||, FCP, SST etc.) concurrently in a more or less
    interface independent way.  Why gunk up a piece of mission-critical
    code with additional paths that don't offer any user-visible
    improvement?

    If we could get a credible wedge driver person to come say
    `absolutely, connection bundling below the SCSI stack is what we
    need!', I'll roll over.  As it is, I think we're trying to build this
    feature primarily on speculation.

    My second objection is that I think it's an architectural error to
    start filling iSCSI with what are essentially transport-layer
    enhancements.  iSCSI says what data to move, and it is the transport
    layer's requirement to move it as fast and as reliably as possible by
    any means available.  If you don't dig what the current transport has
    to offer, use another one.  The advantage a ULP gets by not trying to
    `enhance' the transport-layer, is that it is relatively immune to
    modifications to the underlying transport.

    None of the arguments made for iSCSI connection bundling are unique to
    storage.  If connection bundling is so compelling, TCP or some
    relative will develop its own connection bundling mechanism, and then
    iSCSI can take advantage of it more or less transparently.

    Steph