    Re: iSCSI Autosense Consensus, Connection next steps

    David:

    Nice summary... please see my thoughts to the
    transport issues below...

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

> [...]
    > (4) SCTP - use SCTP's support for multiple connections.
    >
    > I have only seen one message suggesting/supporting (3) Split, so
    > I believe rough consensus exists to not pursue that model
    > any further.  If anyone other than Paul von Stamwitz disagrees,
    > and believes that the Split model should be pursued, please
    > say so on the list with technical rationale.
    >
    > I haven't seen enough discussion on use of SCTP instead of
    > TCP to call consensus.  I am concerned that this list is not
    > going to produce a consensus on the issue phrased in that
    > fashion (i.e., pick exactly one).  The one point on which there
    > does seem to be consensus is that SCTP is a considerably
    > younger protocol that TCP, and hence the likely timelines
    > to availability of hardware acceleration seem to favor TCP.
    > OTOH, this sort of future prediction can easily miss the mark.
    >
    > I can see two possible ways to make progress in this area:
    > - An off-line design team to do an intensive evaluation of SCTP
    >         vs. TCP for iSCSI.
    > - Recognize the merits of SCTP as well as TCP, plan for both
    >         with the anticipation that TCP will be used first.
    > The latter makes more sense to me, because it appears to
    > be more amenable to consensus, avoids the investment
    > of effort in the design team, and avoids having the prospect
    > of abandoning TCP hanging over the heads of those engaged
    > in TCP-specific work.  The practical implication of proceeding
    > in this fashion is that SCTP-friendliness becomes an additional
    > criteria to use in evaluating iSCSI design proposals.  Proceeding
    > in this fashion is only a proposal at this juncture -- please
    > comment on whether this is the right way to proceed (to me
    > or on the list).
    >
    > The specification of sessions for iSCSI over TCP needs to
    > proceed, so under the assumption that either the "plan for
    > both" path will be pursued, or that we can't wait for the
    > design team's conclusions, and hence need to work on TCP
    > in case it is selected, I want to summarize the tradeoffs
    > between the Symmetric and Asymmetric session models,
    > in the aim of simulating more discussions so that we can
    > get to consensus.
    >
    > [X] The Symmetric model imposes additional work on implementations
    >         that do not use multiple connections because they will
    >         have to implement the command numbering.  The
    >         Asymmetric model does not do this.
    > [Y] The Asymmetric model makes dealing with a failed control
    >         connection more complicated than the symmetric model
    >         because agreement between the two sides is required
    >         to establish a new control connection (or use an existing
    >         data connection for control).
    >
    > I have seen the discussion of [X] favoring Asymmetric for systems
    > that will not support multiple TCP connections per iSCSI session.
    > I also note (as an example of applying the SCTP-friendliness
    > from above) that [X] favoring Asymmetric also applies to SCTP, as
    > there seems to be no point in using multiple SCTP sessions in a

    I don't really think that it matters in the SCTP sense if you are
    using X and Y... In fact in Y it is easier to establish a new
    association/connection (if you were using seperate SCTP associations
    which I would strongly recommend AGAINST). This is because SCTP supports
    both a TCPish flavored model and a UDPish model.. In the UDPish model
    you just send to a peer (that you do NOT have a association with) and
    the SCTP stack will automatically create the association. There is
    not need to keep connection state etc.

    Now on the multiple connections issue. I really strongly advise AGAINST
    this. I could understand 1 control connection and 1 data connection, but
    if you do N data connection you are breaking the congestion control
    algorithms. Earlier a pointer to some comments from Sally Floyd were
    posted.. please go have a look at these (I did) and I totally agree
    with Sally. Having N connections violates the CC of the network and
    is a very very BAD idea. I do understand why you would want to have
    your control (with TCP) in a seperate connection. As long as this
    is a low bandwidth type of connection it is probably ok.

    You would not need to do this with SCTP though, since the multiple
    streams allow you to have 1 stream dedicated to control and N streams
    dedicated to data. And (optionally) you can even have a no or one
    retransmit
    stream for data (as well as full reliablility).

    I will post more comments to this thread, I do see it is long, I have
    been updating the reference implementation of SCTP and have been
    disconnected from email a bit...:0

    > We need to give the folks working on revising the iSCSI draft some
    > direction on this issue in fairly short order, so comments are hereby
    > solicited ...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    > black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754

    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com
    815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)