    Re: Target Reset handling

    Julian,

    Let me try again, I was arguing that the protocol stack (I assume you
    mean the state information in various layers by this) and the TCP
    connections be *not* reset - since I do not see a need for the SCSI
    transport mechanism to be reset/cleared in the context of "SCSI target
    reset".  I would again request your attention on the FC precedent, and
    the software expectations of a confirmed target reset.  Logging in after
    an arbitrary "long time" and assuming the target reset to be complete is
    simply unreliable.

    I do not see a need for a special "iSCSI reset".  I believe that the
    SCSI target reset task management request is completely adequate to
    address our requirements.  All I am proposing is a change in its current
    definition in view of the various reasons I had already stated, and the
    benefits of making this change (not the least of which is SAM-2
    compliance).  Addition of a new reset mechanism would also defeat our
    common goal to keep a fairly lean protocol.

    The question of security context needs to addressed regardless of the
    SCSI transport behavior on a target reset.  If security context is being
    designed as part of the transient operating environment (as opposed to
    say, creating/modifying mode pages), then my first guess would be that
    it has to be reset as well to initial values, on a target reset.  I am
    not sure what you implied, but are you suggesting that the security
    context cannot be reset with TCP connections living across a SCSI target
    reset?  Or, did I totally miss something?

    Regards.

    Mallikarjun
    M/S 5601
    Networked Storage Architecture