    Re: security model

    Dave,

    You suggest the following:

    5. Data Privacy (new)

         This mode protects against T3 types of threats. The initiator
         encrypts/decrypts data. The target stores encrypted data.

    This sort of idea has come up before in a number of other (non-iSCSI)
    contexts.   However, I've always felt that this was not an issue for either
    the transport (iSCSI) or for the SCSI layer itself.    If an initiator
    wants to protect its data in this way (from unauthorized use at the storage
    device), he needs only to encrypt it at the source.  That is LONG before it
    ever gets to the SCSI or iSCSI/FCP/SPI/SST.... layer.  The point is that
    none of these layers need participate in this process; the target (and any
    of its protocol stack layers) need not participate as well. So no
    specification in these layers is required; e.g., it need not be included in
    the iSCSI spec (though a NOTE commenting on this point might be useful).
    The application layer above all this SCSI stuff can do it autonomously.

    However, you run into interesting design problems if the data needs to be
    shared amongst different hosts or different applications.  But that exists
    so long as the data is stored in encrypted form at all, regardless of which
    layer did the encrypting.

    The more important issue, I think, is unauthorized access to the data while
    it is stored.  If the wrong guy can get to the data, whether it's encrypted
    or not, that guy can DESTROY the data. This is the more fundamental threat
    as it attacks the heart of a storage device's nature.  I think the login
    authentication should handle that role.

    Jim Hafner