    Re: Connection Consensus Progress

    Chris,

    Thanks for the clarification. Unlike proprietary wedge drivers the iSCSI
    recovery mechanism is meant to be generic.  It might get help from HBAs
    (like detecting a failing connection)
    but it can be implemented entirely above TCP (at the iSCSI level).

    Here is a comment I sent about wedge drivers:

    --------------------------

    I assume that FC folks where so overwhelmed by how complex the FCP ended up
    being that
    they did not even contemplate doing multiple connections.

    And the FCP complexity is caused by stressing too much the hardware
    implementation
    in the first place and then placing functions with the hardware
    implementation in mind
    as the #1 concern.

    However an older stuff - the ESCON had it all there - multiple connections
    built
    in a channel group.

    The only thing we are trying with the connection group is bringing back
    some sanity
    and devising only basic recovery mechanisms. And I am proud that we did it
    with so little
    complexity (Kalman's proposal could simplify it further).

    With so many proprietary things - if we leave them as they are - we might
    end
    having a multitude of incompatible implementations because of unexpected
    failure
    modes for which the wedge drivers will break.

    Julo

    Christopher Stein - Network Storage <Christopher.Stein@east.sun.com> on
    28/08/2000 18:51:16

    Please respond to Christopher Stein - Network Storage
          <Christopher.Stein@east.sun.com>