    From: Matthew Jacob [mailto:mjacob@feral.com]
    Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 5:08 PM
    To: csapuntz@cisco.com
    Cc: 'ips@ece.cmu.edu'
    Subject: Re: Data in SCSI Response or SCSI Data

    > If I remember the discussion correctly, I remember some folks who
    > were implementing hardware did not like having 3 different
    > mechanisms for doing the same thing, as this required more logic
    > and verification.
    >
    > From a network performance standpoint, there is minimal difference
    > between sending two iSCSI messages back-to-back and one larger
    > iSCSI message.
    >
    > In fact, both iSCSI messages might even share the same packet.

    That's a fair point. In other contexts (FC in this case), I've really liked
    being able (in target mode) to send back data && status in packet- it means
    don't have to manage multiple resources on the send side, and in the case of
    sending back canned data for 'trivial' commands (like Mode data), I don't
    even
    have to do a context or thread switch.

    What this might like like in an IPS implementation is not clear to me, but I
    believe I do see the point about the h/w implementation issues.

    It's not clear to me that you can state as a general rule that two packets
    back-to-back is minimally different- not from a performance point of view,
    but
    from a likelihood of lossage and retransmit. If a high proportion of your
    trivial (or not so trivial) read commands come back in one frame, that's a
    lot
    better than managing lost frames, no?

    -matt