    No Subject

    Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 11:38:01 -0700
    From: Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu, Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com>
    Subject: Re: Recovery from a dropped TCP connexion

    > Sender: plabat@cup.hp.com
    > Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:43:14 -0700
    > From: Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com>
    > To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject: Recovery from a dropped TCP connexion
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > In the last teleconf it has been stated that :
    >  -> in case of a droped TCP connexion, a command that was on the flight
    >       must be replayed on a new TCP connexion going through the same
    >       service delivery port. This, because SAM-2 requires that all that
    > concern
    >       one command must flow through the same delivery port.
    >
    > But, because the recovery is done at the command level, why not
    > abort this command on the target (the target will abort/cancel locally
    > all the commands on the flight for the dropped TCP connexion),
    > and replay the command on another link (other service delivery port).

    The command cannot be aborted and replayed because some devices (tapes for
    example) cannot abort a command and then replay it.  That is the whole reason
    FCP-2 was created for Fibre Channel.

    > As the command will be totally restarted we don't need some intermediate
    >
    > command state that would need to be maintained per port.
    > We can cleanup what was ongoing for this command on the initial port
    > and restart drom scratch on the alternate port.
    >
    > It doesn't hurt SAM-2 because the replay of the command is a whole
    > new command.
    > Of course iSCSI must change the LUN in the headers to take into account
    > the new service delivery port.

    But iSCSI does not have visibility to LUN mapping.  That is at a layer above
    iSCSI.

    > The big advantage is that it can speed up the recovery.
    > 1) It is likely that if the TCP connexion dropped through a service
    >   delivery port, the attempt to open a new one through the same
    >   SDP will fail.
    >
    > 2) Replaying the command through an alternate link is faster
    >   than waiting for the establishment of new TCP connexion.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pierre

    Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies