    Asymetric Assumptions

    In many of the discussions that I have seen on this list, there
    seems to be an unwritten assumption running through the threads
    that initiators are hosts with lots of memory and resources and
    targets are storage devices with restrained resources such as
    memory that need negotiation of the protocol parameters as a
    result.

    I would caution against making the protocol too asymmetric in this
    regard as we would like this protocol to work between storage
    devices as well as between hosts and storage devices. This would
    be used, for example, in a hostless back scheme or in a situation
    where one storage device handles mirroring to other storage devices
    itself.

    In one case, for example, an initiator's read might actually be
    committing the blocks to storage such as in a recovery from tape
    situation.

    I think that the requirements document adequately describes
    the requirements in this area, but we just need to be careful in
    our thinking during protocol discussions that the assumptions that
    we make do not cause the protocol to become asymmetric with regards to
    initiators and targets. So far this hasn't been the case.

    Thanks,

    -- mark