    Re: iSCSI Requirements and Dwgs

    A couple of things (some big, some little - you decide which is which
    :-{)...)

    1) In the requirements document, I (personally) would not use the word
    "security" when referring to my proposal for access controls;  "access
    controls" is more appropriate and carries less baggage.  Related note:
    my (approved) proposal's latest revision is 99-245r9, and (I expect)
    there will be a followup for editorial reasons.  Soon it will be
    incorporated into an SPC-3 draft, and that would be the correct place
    to reference (when it comes out).

    2) Many of the terms from SAM-2 used in both documents a rapidly being
    phased out or clarified.  E.g., SMU, I believe, is being expunged.  I
    think a lot of the questions in both documents about "target", "port",
    naming, etc. will be settled in the near future. If would recommend
    following at least some of the stuff going on t10@t10.org to get the
    latest on what's happening in SCSI.

    3) I wouldn't be so reluctant to "avoid impact on T10".  Many changes
    where made to SCSI for FCP.   The T10 group is very willing to make
    changes (particularly ones that don't impact existing things).  So,
    for example, a proposal to enable third party addressing that *extends*
    existing stuff in SPC-2 would not be a problem. (see (6) below).

    4) I again (in spite of the long discussion with David) object to the
    wording under Naming:
       "It may be necessary to provide a naming scheme for SCSI LUs.  *Fibre
       Channel does so using WWNs.*..."
    I haven't found anything in FCP which says this.  There is a paragraph
    in 5.2.3 (under the 5.2 section on SCSI address format for FCP) which
    says that targets (i.e., FC ports) need WWN for both port and node (but
    that's an FC requirement and doesn't have anything to do with SCSI (yet)).
    Node and Port names must be different.  Now we get to the SCSI
    requirements.   FCP devices *must* support INQUIRY EVPD page 83h. A
    device with only one LU *may* use the FC WWNodeName for the INQUIRY WWname.
    The document makes no requirement or suggestion for multi-LU device, other
    than each LU must have a SCSI unique name in EVPD data. If I missed
    something (in FCP), please correct me and provide the specific reference
    in the requirements doc, so its not so confusing.

    5) I would recommend going back to Bob Snively's posting on naming.
    I found it clear and informed and answers most of the questions.

    6) Suggestion for third party naming in iSCSI.  I'll post this in
    another note as it's too long for this one.

    Jim Hafner