    Re: iSCSI Requirements v0.3 05 Jul 00

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Section 3.5: "[R] It has been noted that a remote DMA option for TCP
    > possibly could provide the desired framing."
    >
    > Not if the iSCSI header is lost.  If the iSCSI header is lost, RDMA won't
    > help,
    > because the RDMA will not know which I/O this iSCSI message is for, and
    > will not be able to DMA the data into the correct buffers described for the
    > I/O
    > (Initiator read for example).
    >
    > ++++RDMA knows what to do with data on a TCP segment base - It does not
    > need the ISCSI header - that is the whole idea!

    Ok, I went back and read the TCP RDMA proposal, and I agree.  This is
    essentially adding the framing and other fields to handle the data in each
    received ethernet frame - but what is the likelyhood (and when) that this will
    be approved?

    > Section 3.5 "Selective TCP retransmission.":
    >
    > "[D] Given the long delays in the WAN, using TCP selective retransmission
    > must be supported by iSCSI, in order to minimize the bandwidth impact of
    > retransmission."
    >
    > How can iSCSI support how the underlying TCP transport performs it's
    > retransmission?
    >
    > ++++ isn't SACK an option

    SACK is a TCP option.  The only thing iSCSI has to do to "support" this is turn
    it on!  The wording makes it sound like iSCSI must do more than that.

    > Section 3.5 "Firewall friendly. The protocols use of IP addressing and TCP
    > port numbers should be firewall friendly."
    >
    > Why?  "real" implementations will use their own dedicated lines to reach
    > long distances, and will not transport data over the "public internet",
    > especially due to the "information super highway traffic jam".
    >
    > ++++  firewall support will be deemed essential by everybody as it includes
    > handling threats beyond what we will handle in iSCSI

    My point is, it only has to be "firewall friendly" if it is going *through* the
    firewall.  Now, how many real implementations are going to do storage through a
    firewall?

    -Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies