    RE: summary of iSCSI meeting 22 June 2000

    At 10:51 AM 6/22/00 -0600, JoeBre@exabyte.com wrote:

    Comments inline

    > Further discussion of what happens when TCP packets get lost,
    > especially if
    >  they contain an iSCSI header.
    > How well can iSCSI compete with FC if we are so dependent on
    > TCP, with its
    > dropped packets.

    All error handling for dropped packets should exist below the SCSI layer. If SCSI would be required to be involved in error handling for dropped packets, it would be disastrous for SCSI Stream Devices (ex: tape backup session). This is due to the fact that SCSI Stream Devices have stateful behavior.

    iSCSI can compete quite well with TCP especially if the TCP implementation uses SACK for selective retransmissions.  The fact that TCP does all of the reliability for packets (not transactions which are different) is a benefit available to any layered architecture approach - TCP can take on and solve a class of problems without impacting iSCSI architecture / device designs.

    Note: iSCSI should be responsible for its level of transaction recovery.   For example, all transactions should be numbered with iSCSI implementing a SACK scheme.  This would allow iSCSI to recover transactions that may have been lost due to a failure within the fabric, e.g. a session which is striping across multiple TCP connections may loose a TCP connection and should recover.

    > In the LAN, TCP packets are not generally lost and we should  be comparable
    > to FC. Over WAN, can have packet loss and resulting complications,  but that is no
    > longer competing with FC (which doesn't exist at all in the WAN).

    The people working on the FC-BB specification would probably refute the statement that FC does not exist at all in the WAN.

    The general Internet has packet loss in the 1-in-100 range today - it is getting better as higher bandwidth backbones are used to accommodate the increased workload (most packet drops are due to congestion).  For a dark fiber solution which is properly provisioned, one can insure that congestion is a rare event and thus the packet loss will be very low.  There are many dark fiber providers in the world delivering solutions today so one can deploy a system (many companies are doing just this) without major problems.  It should be noted that many companies and backbone providers will be moving to OC192 and deploying DWDM with the ability to deliver Tbps over the next couple of years.  So, perhaps the congestion problem will really go away and one will be left with the much harder problems to worry about.

    Mike