    Keith Moore: Re: Storage over Ethernet/IP

    ------- Forwarded Message

    Date:    Fri, 26 May 2000 11:33:17 -0400
    From:    Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
    To:      Brian.Rubarts@born.com
    cc:      moore@cs.utk.edu, ietf@ietf.org
    Subject: Re: Storage over Ethernet/IP

    > >> It won't run over the Internet because of latencies inherent on the
    > >> public network.
    >
    > >at least for some storage applications, latency is not as important
    > >as bandwidth.  e.g. you can do backups over a high-latency medium
    > >as long as your bandwidth is adequate (though recovery from write
    > >errors gets a bit tricky).
    >
    > Backups could go through VPNs, I suppose.

    except that you can't assume the presence of a VPN either.  you need
    authenticity and privacy specified as part of the storage access protocol.

    > I suppose infrequently used and low
    > priority files could also be accessed over the 'net.

    yes, but file access protocols are better for this purpose.
    I don't see wanting to mount a raw disk drive
    across the public Internet very often.
    (except perhaps read-only... virtual cdrom, anyone?)

    > >> It will run over incredibly fast Packet over SONET Wide Area
    > >> Networks--behind firewalls.
    >
    > >...it's
    > >inappropriate to assume that it will always be used behind firewalls...
    >
    > If the larger network that is employing this technology doesn't hire a
    > decent consultant, you might be right.  If they do, it will ALWAYS
    > be behind a firewall :-)

    any consultant who pretends that firewalls provide security cannot
    be described as 'decent'.

    > >Firewalls don't help with the majority of security threats...
    >
    > True, but whether the server accesses the disks via SCSI over TCP or SCSI
    > over Fibre Channel, the SERVER is still the weak link.

    un, no.  SCSI has some inherent length/delay/number-of-stations
    limitations.  but if the disk is accessible using TCP,  there is a
    significant probability that it will be accessible from the global
    Internet and/or from local threats who have physical access to the
    transmission medium, and the storage access protocol needs to assume
    that this is the case.

    > The transport protocol doesn't create any inherent weaknesses of
    > the type you are refering to--e-mail borne viruses, internal hackers, etc.

    you're assuming a different threat model than I am.  I am indeed
    assuming that storage devices will be targed, in addition to servers.

    > The server would still be the attack point.  Why goodness,
    > the server and storage devices could be in a VLAN or something to deny
    > direct hack attempts against the storage device

    yes, they *could* be.  but you cannot assume that they *will* be.

    > but the chink in the armor is how hardened is your OS?

    there's more than one chink in the armor.

    IP-based protocols need to be able to work in the global Internet.

    Keith

    ------- End of Forwarded Message