    Re: Proposed announcement to rest of IETF

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

    > Costa, without requirements analysis you will not get anywhere in the IETF.

    Can you point me to some documents that indicate what goes into
    a requirements analysis? I'm fuzzy on the concept.

    > The way you have phrased it rings lots of alarm bells  -  it reads as if you are
    > trying to set up SCSI/TCP as an architectural competitor or replacement for
    > NFS etc, but that is absolutely not the case. That's why the requirements analysis
    > is the first step.
    >
    >   Brian

    Phrasing aside, here's what I meant for the record:

    The intent was to say "SCSI is joining the IP network
    bandwagon 15 years late." AFS and NFS have been doing IP networks for
    years. Now, SCSI wants to play over IP networks. Our goal is to make
    SCSI work over all kinds of IP networks.

    The goal is not to replace NFS. In fact, some of the proposals out of
    this proposed working group may actually help NFS. Again, though, the
    principle goal is to make SCSI work over IP networks.

    -Costa